To assist us in evaluating the various features of the 2013 course, we gathered several sorts of data:
- profiles of all applicants and all admitted students derived from their applications for admission;
- the results of an automated “pretest,” taken by all admitted students, which was designed to assess their knowledge of the main features of the copyright system at the outset of the course;
- attendance records for all of the online seminars and special events;
- the grades received by the students on the individual questions on the final examinations; and
- surveys administered to the edX students, the Harvard Law School students, and the teaching fellows.
We are still analyzing this large body of data. But we are already confident that, overall, the venture was a success. A summary of the key indicators follows.