The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of reading research articles on biomedical engineering students' scientific literacy, in the context of hybrid learning in higher education. For that purpose, the following research questions were formulated:
- What are the differences, if any, in the scientific literacy of biomedical engineering students before and following taking an academic course, focussing on reading research articles, in the following skills:
- Question posing following reading a research article?
- Identifying the canonical research article structure?
- Suggesting subsequent experiment design for the experiment discussed in the research article?
- What are the differences, if any, in scientific literacy of biomedical engineering students, as expressed in the forum discourse in the following dimensions:
- The questions raised by the peer-tutor students in the discussions following reading research articles?
- The responses given by the participants in the forum following reading research articles?